Category Archives: Home Improvements
Dear Design Diva,
I have “popcorn” ceilings and I hate them. Is it hard to get rid of them?
I don’t know anyone who really likes popcorn ceilings, other than the builders who install them. It’s not hard to get rid of, but it is a very messy job. Also, some of the older popcorn ceilings contain asbestos, so if that is a possibility, take the precautionary step of having a small chip tested before contaminating your home. The supplies you need are a ladder, a garden sprayer, a four inch scraper, a face mask, and goggles. Here are the 5 easy steps:
- Remove everything from the room, or if that isn’t possible, cover everything with drop clothes. Also be sure to seal off doorways because this stuff will get everywhere.
- Use the garden sprayer to wet the popcorn ceiling with water. Since you will be standing on a ladder, only wet as far as your arm can reach.
- After it is saturated, scrape it off with the 4 inch scraper. It will fall off very easily when wet. Be sure you have your mask and goggles on.
- Keep moving your ladder around the room, scraping the ceiling off in sections.
- After the popcorn is gone, you may have to go back up and re-spackle or sand the taped joints. If you re-paint your ceiling before you have a smooth surface you will be praying for a popcorn ceiling again!
Extra note: Consider selecting a color other than white for the ceiling. You’ll love how it looks!
The Design Diva
If you like what you’ve read, please share it with your friends and followers. If you have a decorating question, please leave a comment below or email us at email@example.com.